Food is expensive! None of us want to lose the food, the money or the time that is takes to restock. I know when my refrigerator is not working, I want to do whatever it takes to keep from losing my food, so here is the list I go through when that happens. It can help you keep your food cold and save money.
Six things to do when the refrigerator stops getting cold:
1. Flip the breaker – see if that gets the fridge back to working.
2. Take all the highly perishable foods out – dairy especially and put it either in another fridge or a cooler with ice.
3. Take all the commonly used foods out of the refrigerator so the kids can get to them without opening up the appliance, and put it in a cooler.
4. Buy dry ice from your local grocery store – Kroger usually has this, and put some in the bottom of the freezer and refrigerator sections.
5. Tape the doors closed to remind the family NOT to open the doors for any reason. This holds in the cold and helps you keep your food cold.
6. Call a local appliance company and get a professional technician out as soon as possible.